POSITION: Head Coach
REPORTS TO: General Manager, Boston Blades
STATUS: One (1) Year Contract
LOCATION: Boston, MA
POTENTIAL START DATE: 7/1/2018
CLOSING DATE: 6/30/2019
Core Responsibilities, include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the official spokesperson on behalf of the team
- Coordinate the delegation of responsibilities to the assistant coach(es)
- Communicate with Hockey Operations Personnel including team athletic trainers, strength coaches, equipment manager, director of hockey operations, statistics coordinator, etc. on behalf of the team.
- Plan on and off-ice activities in consultation with the assistant coach(es)
- Work with General Manager to organize player meetings to inform them on the season plan, objectives, expectations, etc
- Coordinate player evaluation and selection in conjunction with the assistant coach(es)
- Plan, implement and control pre-game preparation and communication with the team
- Design the practice plans in consultation with the assistant coach(es)
- Head Coach is expected to attend all team events including practices, games (exhibition, regular season and playoffs) and team sanctioned events or designate a replacement
- Establish rules for the team and oversee the supervision of the players
- Expected to allocate sufficient time before and after games and practices to allow for adequate meetings and player communication
- Work with General Manager to develop a budget and timelines for the team’s activities
- Submit a year end report to General Manager which contains the following information – evaluation of players performance, evaluation of team’s performance, and recommendations on how the program can be improved
- Comply with all necessary rules, guidelines, regulations, etc. within the CWHL Policies and Guidelines
- Collaborate with the General Manager to identify, recruit and draft key prospects that algin with the vision of the Boston Blades Organization
- Assist Administrative Staff in resolving cases where athletes violate an applicable regulation
- Develop and execute game strategies
- Set game lineups
- Create individual development plans for players
- Maintain open communication with players and staff on key matters (i.e. goaltender starts, playing time, special teams, roles, etc)
- Make oneself available for media to promote team and league
- Make oneself available to sponsors and community initiatives (i.e. with minor hockey associations) to promote team and league
- Lead team video sessions for players
- Submit travel rosters and request for team travel itinerary to Director of Hockey Operations in timely fashion
- The CWHL plays a 28-game regular season. Games are played on weekends from October through to March.
- Teams practice twice a week in the evenings.
- Consistent email contact and availability with General Manager and Athletes during the week and on weekends is expected
- Once a week Staff Meeting/Conference Call with Adminstrative and Hockey Operations Staff
- Expected turn around time of 24hr acknowledgement of communication
- Availability for fundraising events and community outreach activities.
- Ability to travel Internationally up to 10 days
- Away notices must be provided in a timely manner
Desired Qualifications / Skills:
The Head Coach will possess the following strengths and abilities:
- Capacity to lead a diverse team to success and ensure they contribute to the achievement of the overall strategic goals of the organization;
- An ability to work independently without supervision, but in accordance with documented policy and procedure guidelines;
- A record of working as a team member, as well as a history of performing in situations that require self-leadership and initiative;
- A record of building and creating the culture of an organization/program from the ground-up.
- An ability to balance team / athletes needs and goals with those of the administration of CWHL;
- A background that displays people management and people leadership skills and attributes;
- A background that displays excellent stakeholder relations and workplace co-operation;
- Ability to plan and organize schedules, budgets in a timely and efficient manner.
- Excellent Communication Skills: Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative. Maintains this standard in all forms of written communication, including e-mail.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience and demonstrated success at the Minor Hockey Level, Jr Hockey Level, or NCAA College Hockey Level or Higher.
- At least 3 years experience coaching female hockey players.
- At least 3 years experience as Head Coach
- Credentials should reflect proven success or ability in coaching, recruiting, and working with elite leve athletes in a high demanding environment
- A comprehensive understanding of team management, team tactics, team systems, team strategies, and skill development
Head Coach Compensation:
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Please send the following items to [email protected] to apply for the position:
- Letter of Applicantion
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Coaching Philosophy